CSA Valpo Submission Guidelines for 2016-2017 Season
If you’d like to be a part of the next season of CSA Valpo, we’d like you to read through the following guidelines for submission. If accepted for the project, you will receive a stipend to create 50 new works of art for the project between September 2016 and May 2017. The project is open to all creatives who live/work in Northwest Indiana. Please see our FAQ for additional info.
What We are Looking For:
- CSA Valpo is a unique undertaking for any artist, no matter what stage you are in your career. We are seeking artists that are up to that challenge and can produce high quality pieces for our shareholders.
- A cohesive proposal. You don’t need to plan on making 50 identical works of art for the project, but your works should possess a cohesive concept. Previous selected CSA Valpo artists have chosen to create multiples, small series, or 50 individual pieces. Consider what would best represent you and your work.
- ORIGINAL work. The work must be hand made; we cannot accept proposals for reproductions make by a third party (the exception being written work or music being published in a sharable format for the project). Think outside the box; if you normally create large-scale paintings, think about a series of mini pieces, or drawings. We want the scale of the project and the stipend to make sense for YOU based on how you work.
- Small-scale pieces. Our shareholders, your new collectors, will receive a well-packaged presentation of all eight original pieces at the end of the season. All finished work should be no more than 24” in any dimension.
- A balance. Each season, we try to provide a variety of styles and media for shareholders.
What to Send:
For Visual Artists: Five (5) jpg images sized at a maximum of 900px in any direction, at 72 dpi, that are representative of your work. Please include title, date, size, and medium. Please know that if selected, the images you provide in your submission will be used to market our 2016-17 CSA season.
For Writers and Poets: 4-6 short writing samples in .pdf or .docx format. Please include title and, if the piece was published, where.
For Musicians: 4 mpg files of your work. Please include title and any other relevant details (other musicians included, date recorded, etc.)
A written proposal that includes the following information:
- Name, contact info, and brief bio
- What will you be creating for CSA Valpo? Be as specific as possible. We understand that your ideas and proposal may change over the course of the almost eight-month season. Will you be working in a medium you are already familiar with, or using the opportunity to explore a new process? What is the inspiration or process for the project?
- How do you plan to meet the goal of creating 50 pieces by the May 1, 2017 deadline?
- We also plan approximately 3 events throughout the season, including a season preview exhibit at the Porter County Museum with a panel discussion, and it is expected that the artists attend. Most events are during weekday evenings and on weekends.
Please send the above to email@example.com by September 15, 2016. Accepted artists will be notified by September 30, and will be asked to attend a brief informational meeting prior to launch of the project.